SPANISH-EGYPTIAN MISSION AT DRA ABU EL-NAGA TOMBS OF DJEHUTY AND HERY (TT 11-12)
19th Season Report: January 14 th – February 22 nd
The area in front of the courtyard of the tomb-chapel of Djehuty (TT 11) was labelled “Sector 11”. Part of the mud-brick wall and floor built around the funerary shaft that should be located in front of a 17th Dynasty chapel was brought to light.
A small mud sarcophagus (24.5 x 12 x 14.5 cm) was found north/west of the mud-brick offering chapel. It was resting flat on the ground level of the chapel. A string was still tied in its place, holding together the box and the lid. A wooden mummy-form figurine was found inside, wrapped in four linen bandages. The owner’s name, “The Osiris, Djehuty”, was written on the figure and on one of the bandages.
A wooden anthropoid coffin came to light during the excavations to the north/east of the offering chapel. It was left on the ground without any protection. The context, however, seems to correspond with the spoils of ancient tomb robbers
The coffin, 1.75 x 0.33 m., was carved from a single tree trunk, with coat of whitewash that covering the exterior (except for the back). It dates to the 17th Dynasty, ca. 1600 BCE. Inside the coffin, the mummy of a 15/16 year old woman, around 1.55 m high, was resting on her right side.
The mummy, in poor state of preservation, was wearing two earrings in her left ear and one ring in each hand. Moreover, four necklaces were left as a handful on her chest.
Inside one of the funerary shafts, a painted limestone stela, 49 x 35 x 5.5 cm., was found broken. It dates as early as the 12th or 13th Dynasty.